Name: Torsten Herzog
Years attended GESS: 1982 - 1987 as elementary school teacher
Current location: Germany/Taiwan
Current occupation: retired
1. What do you miss most about your time at GESS? What is your fondest memory?
The very friendly attitude amongst teachers, staff, parents and students. Teaching at a school without tight bureaucratic guidelines is a rare opportunity.
There are many fond memories.
2. What do you miss most about Singapore and your life there? If it has been a while, what do your remember most about your life in Singapore?
The food, the out door life, the weather, the variety of cultures and the friendly people.
3. Do you think your time in Singapore and your time at GESS had an impact on your future life? If so, can you describe it?
Singapore was my first working place followed by more than 13 years of work and life experience in Asia.
It had of impact of building a large network of friends in the Asian and Pacific region that I retain until today.
4. Tell us a bit about where you went after you left GESS and what happened to you. (Any interesting information you like to share with fellow alumni, funny, adventurous, entertaining stories that make an interesting read are welcome!)
After Singapore I went back to Germany, then to China, back to Germany, then to Hong Kong, now back in Germany.
All in all 13 years of Asia changed my life. And now it will be Asia again so very soon.
5. We would love to get a quote from you on why you would recommend GESS to other students, parents or teachers.
To live in another country will always extend your life experience. This definitely also applies to the GESS. The school is a very advanced and highly skilled place of education in Asia and offers lots of various opportunities for your future life.