Language Enrichment Programme in Primary School
Since August 2015, German and European Section students can select a weekly 90-minute language enrichment course from our new cross-sectional Language Enrichment Programme (LEP) in Primary School.
What is the LEP all about?
- Building fluency in home languages (English/German) as well as 11 different family languages
- Engaging in fun, interactive, authentic language-focused activities
- Developing cultural knowledge, identity and pride
- Celebrating diversity across the Primary School
Why is the LEP a good idea for your child?
- Research shows that maintaining and building fluency in home languages is key to academic success. Bilingual students demonstrate superior thinking skills, higher academic results and benefit from more opportunities later in life.
- Home usage is not enough to maintain a language. Ninety additional minutes a week will make a difference, especially in helping your child become comfortable using your language outside the home.
- We want children to know their languages and identities count at GESS. We value all languages and cultures as they make up our students’ complex identities.
How does the LEP work?
Taught by experienced teachers and facilitators, LEP courses will strengthen vocabulary and fluency through fun and interactive games, stories, arts and crafts, music, and more.
- In home languages: courses emphasize oral language skills, cultural awareness and identity, and connecting with students’ countries of origin. Where enrollment is sufficient, groups will be differentiated by age (Foundation to Grade 2 or Grades 3 to 5).
- In German and English: courses include Arts and Crafts, Language Kaleidoscope, Music and Visual Arts, World of Games, Booster courses and Homework Support.
Parents select from a menu of course options and register online through the CCA Portal.
The LEP is entirely optional for all students and costs $520 per course per school year.