Community

Help for New Families

Before school starts

Please read the checklist below and make sure you have completed all tasks before the start of school. You can contact the Admissions department if you have any questions or need help.

Read the help pages in Parent Portal
School bus

If you would like your child to take the school bus, please contact the School Bus office and then complete the bus service application form.

Materials

Check the materials list and for Secondary students the laptop requirements

School uniform

Purchase school uniform online or make an appointment to visit the school shop

Activate school accounts and Parent ID card

Activate your MyInfo account to update your contact information, your child’s immigration pass and for Primary and Secondary students to top up their student ID card for canteen purchases

Parents should also apply for a Parent ID card online.

Information required before the start of school
  • Singapore address or temporary Singapore address
  • Phone number we can contact you on during the first week of school
  • Submit a digital passport style photo of your child on a white background
  • Immigration pass (IPA letter or digital photo of the front of your child’s immigration pass)
  • Confirm your email addresses and contact details in MyInfo
School Hours
School Material
School Uniform
School Bus
Canteen
After School Programmes
School Calendar
School Contact information
FAQ - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

School Hours

Preschool
Day Times
Full-Day 8.00 am - 2.50 pm
Half-Day 8.00 am - 12.30 pm

*For students on the 3 half-days, 2 full-days study option, the half-days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Primary School
German Curriculum Times
EST and Grade 1 7.50 am - 12.05 pm (Mon, Wed, Thu & Fri) 1 school day ends at 2.35 pm
Grade 2 7.50 am - 12.05 pm (Mon, Wed & Fri) 2 school days end at 2.35 pm
Grade 3 7.50 am - 2.35 pm (Tue & Wed) 3 school days end at 2.35 pm
Grade 4 and 5 7.50 am - 2.35 pm (Wed) 4 school days end at 2.35 pm

The Extended Afternoon Programme (ENP) for German Curriculum takes place on “short” school days until 2:45 pm. The programme includes homework supervision and activities such as crafts, painting, playtime and social learning. After 2:45 pm students can join the CCA programme or go home.

IB Curriculum Times
Grade 1 to Grade 5 7.50 am 2.35 pm

Lunch Break for Primary School full-day students:

• Grades EST - 2: 12:05 to 13:05
  • Grades 3 - 5: 11:20 to 12:20
Secondary School
IB and German Curriculum Times
Grade 6 to 9 8.00 am - 3.00 pm
Grade 10 to 12 8.00 am - 3.00 pm

*Depending on individual course choice of students, classes are scheduled until 4.40 pm.

You can view the timetable of your child in GESS Engage. GESS Engage is accessible via the app or desktop: https://engage.gess.sg/

School Material

School materials and workbooks can be purchased in the School Shop.

Click the link below to find the workbooks, schoolbooks, reading lists and school materials lists.

School Uniform

All GESS students are required to wear a school uniform. The school uniform can be purchased from the School Shop and must be obtained prior to the first day of School.

Families typically purchase 2-3 sets of the classroom uniform and 1-2 sets of the sports uniform. Prices are on average 25-30 SGD per item.

School Bus

GESS offers a door-to-door school bus service for students in Kindergarten to grade 12, from most areas of west and central Singapore and a shuttle bus service from the East Coast and Sentosa.

School bus fees are calculated by distance and are invoiced for each semester. The fees include the after-school bus at 16:30.

For route timings and availability, please check with the School bus office:

Email: bus@gess.sg

Phone: +65 6461 0873

Canteen

Lunch is included in the school fees for Preschool students. For Primary and Secondary a range of hot and cold meal options is available in the main canteen. Meals cost 5-6 SGD and students pay at the canteen using their student ID card. Your child may also bring their own lunch from home.

If your child has dietary restrictions or allergies, please let your homeroom teacher know.

After School Programmes

GESS offers a range of after-school programmes for students from Kindergarten to grade 12, including sports, music, creative and language programmes.

School Calendar

PARENT EVENTS

There are different events for parents at GESS that enable parents to get informed, become an active part of the GESS community and make friends with other parents.

Please check the school calendar below for more information on upcoming parent events.

JOIN THE EVENTS TEAM

The Events Team plays a major role in strengthening the GESS spirit, as well as, supporting school projects and adopted charities. Each year, the Events Team organises two major events to bring the school community together: Christmas Bazaar and International Summer Party. If you would like to get involved, please contact the Events Team at eventsteam@gess.sg.

Calendar

The GESS school year starts in August and ends in June. Find below the dates of the semesters, school breaks and public holidays for 2020/21.

School Semester / Holidays Dates
Semester 1 17 August 2020 to 22 January 2021
Semester 2 25 January 2021 to 24 June 2021
Mid-term break 12 to 18 October 2020
End of year holiday 18 December 2020 to 10 January 2021
Chinese New Year break 12 to 21 February 2021
Mid-term break 5 to 18 April 2021
Summer break 25 June to 15 August 2021
Public Holidays Dates
Deepavali 14 November 2020
Chinese New Year 12 February 2021
Good Friday 02 April 2021
Labour Day 01 May 2021
Hari Raya Puasa 13 May 2021
Vesak Day 26 May 2021​

School Contact information

Please find below our school contact information:

FAQ - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

1) My child doesn’t have their immigration card yet

As long as you have the In-principle approval letter, your child can start school. Once you have received the green immigration card, take a photo of it and securely upload it to MyInfo.

2) When will my child get their Student ID card?

The Homeroom teacher will give the student ID card on the first day of school.

3) Should my child bring cash to pay for food?

Primary or Secondary students should bring 10 SGD to pay for food and snacks on the first day.

4) What should my child bring on the first day of school?

Your child needs to bring their immigration pass or NRIC for SafeEntry registration. If your child does not have the immigration card yet, they should bring a photocopy of their passport photo page.

Essentials to bring

• Water bottle
  • School bag and pencil case
  • Notebook
  • Laptop (grades 6-12)
  • 10 SGD cash to purchase food and snacks

For detailed information on what to bring, please read the material lists page.

5) Are parents allowed on campus?

Parents are not allowed on campus during school hours until further notice due to Singapore government regulations.

6) Where do I drop off or pick up my child?

Please see the detailed entry and exit information on the Coronavirus update page in Parent Portal.

7) Why can’t I access MyInfo to update my contact details or child’s immigration information?

You must activate your account using the email address registered with GESS. This is the email address in the application form. Click here for technical support.

8) We are still on a Stay Home Notice or Quarantine Order and cannot attend the homeroom teacher orientation

We will make alternative arrangements with you. Please contact your homeroom teacher and let them know.

9) I need to delay the start date of my child

Please email admissions@gess.sg before your child’s first day of school

10) I have questions or need help. Who should I contact?
  • For academic and class questions, please contact your homeroom teacher
  • To book an appointment to visit the school shop, please email shop@gess.sg
  • For all other enquiries, please contact admissions@gess.sg